Here’s a useful summary of extra features for Fire TV devices. I’ve wondered about frame rates when my video stream goes fuzzy. Also, what to do (besides cycling power) when the device crashes – becomes unresponsive.
• Gizmodo > “11 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do on Your Amazon Fire TV” by David Nield (June 3, 2021)
- Use Alexa Hands-Free
- Set Up User Profiles
- Bring Up Diagnostic Information (remote buttons trick)
Well, that tip – about getting diagnostic information via a trick using the remote’s buttons – did not work on my 3rd gen pendant-design Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD (2017). May not work for others as well.
What did work was downloading (on June 4) the (free) “Developer Tools Menu Shortcut for Fire TV” app from the Amazon Appstore.
I learned of this app from:
• Beebom.com > “How to Check the Actual Streaming Resolution on Fire TV Stick” by Arjun Sha (February 6, 2021)
• AV Forums > Video Streaming Boxes & Services > “Question > Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K – developer tools options” (Jan 22, 2019)
- Control the Fire TV from Your Phone (app)
- Restart Your Device from the Remote (buttons trick)
- Protect Your Privacy (settings)
- Customize the Home Screen
- Tune Into Your Ring Video Feed
- Use Your Echo Speakers for Sound
- Add a Mouse and Keyboard (Settings > Bluetooth )
- Browse the Web (hmm …)