MacWorld > Best antivirus for Mac: Protect yourself from malicious software by Glenn Fleishman, Senior Contributor, Macworld (Nov 12, 2019)
If you’re concerned about protection against malware on your Apple Mac computer, here’re some notes from MacWorld’s latest reviews.
- Best overall antivirus software – Sophos Home Premium for Mac
- Best free antivirus software – Avast Free Mac Security
In addition to visiting malicious websites, downloading known malicious software, and even running said malware, we also reference the most recent reports from two labs that regularly cover macOS malware: AV Comparatives and AV-TEST. These laboratories test AV software against sets of known malware as well as products that are grouped as potentially unwanted applications (like adware).
Finally, while we gave props for a lot of different features and behaviors, we marked products down if they lacked any or all of the following:
A nearly perfect score on macOS malware detection
Native browser plug-in or system-level Web proxy
A high score on Windows malware detection
If you have specific requirements or just wish to see other options, below is a list of all the antivirus software we’ve reviewed. We’ll keep evaluating new and refreshed software on a regular basis, so be sure to come back to see what else we’ve put through the ringer.
- Avast Security Pro for Mac
- Sophos Home Premium for Mac
- Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac 2020
- Avast Free Mac Security
- Avira Free Antivirus for Mac
- Norton Security Deluxe (Mac)
- Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac
- Malwarebytes Premium
- ESET Cyber Security Pro
- Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac (version 6.2)
- McAfee Total Protection for Mac
- Intego Mac Internet Security X9
- ProtectWorks Antivirus for Mac